Our volunteers are our everyday heroes!
Whatever your skillset, lend a hand for as little or as much time as you can spare, and we promise you’ll get more out than you put in. Our volunteering opportunities are as varied as you!
Make a difference, volunteer today
You don’t need to be Bear Grylls to join us. Our door is open to people of all ages, genders, races and backgrounds. We’re only able to change lives because people like you lend a hand. We’re talking about students who want to boost their CV, and parents who volunteer so they can spend more time together as a family.
We provide the training. You show up, get stuck in, and make memories for life. Sounds fun? Worthwhile? It is…
Contact us now for more information.
Here are some of the volunteer opportunities that we’re recruiting for today:
District Scout Network Commissioner
The District Scout Network Commissioner is the lead volunteer for the Network section for 18-25 year olds. They help to drive the Network’s development and ensure that a quality programme is available to the Network’s members.
Delivering a quality programme in the District
- Actively support and encourage Scout Network members in shaping and participating in the programme, including forming project teams.
- Ensure that a safe, exciting and stimulating programme is available to Scout Network Members in the District, taking into account the needs, interests and abilities of members.
- Ensure the safe delivery of the programme in the District in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
- Encourage members of the Scout Network to gain activity permits and to undertake awards, particularly including the Diamond Chief Scout’s Award, the King’s Scout Award, Explorer Belt, Scouts of the World Award and Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme. Support members to access opportunities to complete these awards.
- Regularly review the District provision of Scout Network to ensure that the experience for Scout Network
members is of the highest quality
District Youth Commissioner
Youth Commissioners are volunteers responsible for driving youth shaped Scouts in their local area. They’re aged between 18 and 25 when they’re appointed.
Youth Commissioners support volunteers to embed young people’s ideas and decisions into local Scouts. They play a key role in the leadership and management of their District, County, or Area.
District Youth Commissioners
District Youth Commissioners support volunteers in their District (including Section Leaders, Group Scout Leaders, Assistant District Commissioners, and District Explorer Scout Commissioners), helping them to understand the importance of being youth shaped and put it into practice.
District Youth Commissioners can:
- Support volunteers to put the views and ideas of young people at the heart of their section’s programme.
- Promote participation in the YouShape award and top awards.
- Help to make sure that young people get regular opportunities to take the lead, including promoting peer leadership and the Young Leaders’ Scheme.
- Inspire and motivate young people in the District and make sure they know about all the different opportunities available to them in Scouts, including what they can do when they turn 18.
- Influence decisions that are made in the District as a member of the District Trustee Board, making sure that young people are at the heart of decisions.
Download an example role description for a District Youth Commissioner.
Technology Support Unit Members
Got an interest in technology and want to use your skills to help the Scouts?
The technology support unit helps adults and young people in a wide range of ways, for example:
- help administer some of our back office systems, eg.
- Microsoft 365 support
- WordPress website development
- Online Scout Manager (OSM) support and raining
- support and train adults in the systems used by the Scouts e.g.
- Compass membership management
- WordPress websites and hosting
- Online Scout Manager (OSM)
There is no need to have been involved in Scouting or Guiding before, all that is required is a willingness to give some of your time to Scouting. In return you will make friends and be able to join with others doing whatever you decide.
If you’re enthusiastic about technology or IT minded and you’d like to be involved in sharing your enthusiasm and knowledge, then please let us know!